Saturday, October 17, 2015




This portrait of Dumi is # 10, in my ‘100 Strangers Project’.  Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group

I first noticed this man because he was walking with a very distinctive, corkscrew cane.  When I approached him I was greeted by gleaming eyes and a friendly smile. 
After introductions, as we conversed, it became clear that, not only was he friendly, but he had an extremely keen intellect.  Dumi told me that he was a scientist working in the pharmaceutical industry in New Delhi, India until he was pressured to seek retirement.

He noted with a hint of sadness that neither of his two daughters had the desire to follow in his footsteps and had chosen instead to follow careers in the field of finance.

It wasn’t until Dumi told that he was 95 years-old that the full impact of this remarkable man hit me.  It is with total respect and awe, I say to him, “Namaste, Uncle!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment